Christmas Traditions: Spritz Cookie Recipe

'Tis the season to eat cookies.... fa la la la la la la la la!

Most of you know that we try to live a healthy and balanced lifestyle. This is actually the case throughout the holidays as well. However, there are some things that are worth the extra calories for me. One of those things are these butter spritz cookies.

These cookies hold a special place in my heart. They are my Great-Grandma Rica's recipe. She would make a special tin just for me every Christmas for as long as I can remember. She was one of the most giving, kind, and magical people I have ever had the chance to know. Plus she could bake and cook like nobody’s business!



I'm excited that I have this recipe to share with my family, friends, and now you!

I will definitely say these do NOT fall in the category of healthy recipes, they are definitely a treat. Could I have tried to find a way to make them a bit healthier? Sure. But I'm not messing with GG's recipe.

So if you're ready to be merry and enjoy these melt-in-your-mouth cookies, read on!

Ingredients

  • 1 lb butter, softened
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp pure almond extract
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract 
  • 4.5 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder 

Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 325*F 
  • In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar 
  • Add in egg and extracts until combined 
  • In a separate bowl mix together the flour and baking powder to combine 
  • Slowly add in flour 1 cup at a time (dough will be heavy, I use our stand mixer to ensure that everything is mixed properly) 
  • Place desired disc in your cookie press* (we love the christmas trees, snowflakes, and wreaths) 
  • Place dough into the cookie press and press them onto an ungreased cookie sheet
  • Decorate with your favorite color of sugar sprinkles
  • Place into the oven for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown (with our oven we usually bake for 14 minutes) 

This recipe will make 6+ cookie sheet pans full of cookies. We love sharing them with our family members, for holiday parties at school, or as gifts for colleagues. They also freeze well! So feel free to make a big batch for you and your family and take them out of the freezer when you want to enjoy them. They're yummy with milk, hot chocolate, or coffee! They're a favorite of santa's too! ;)

*The cookie press I've linked is the one that Nate got me for Christmas a few years ago. It's held up well and I love that the steel discs come in a carrying case. You do NOT need a cookie press to make this recipe. You can roll the dough into small balls and press them down with a fork (making a criss cross pattern), and they will be just as delicious!

Enjoy! I wish you peace and love this holiday season!

No comments